Looking for a good scare? Amazon Prime Video has a great selection of horror movies available for streaming. With a mix of classic horror films and newer releases, there’s something for everyone to enjoy. Whether you’re a fan of supernatural thrillers or slasher flicks, you’ll find plenty of options to choose from.
One of the best things about Amazon Prime Video is that it’s constantly updating its selection of horror movies. So, even if you’ve already watched all the classics, there’s always something new to discover. And with the convenience of streaming, you can watch your favorite horror movies anytime, anywhere. So, if you’re ready to get your heart racing and your blood pumping, check out Amazon Prime Video’s collection of terrifying horror movies.
The Genre of Horror
When it comes to movies, the horror genre is one of the most popular and enduring. Horror films are designed to scare and thrill audiences with their frightening themes, creepy settings, and terrifying monsters. They can be a fun way to get your adrenaline pumping and your heart racing, but they can also be a way to explore deeper themes and emotions.
The horror genre has been around for over a century, with some of the earliest horror films dating back to the silent era. Over the years, the genre has evolved and expanded, with new sub-genres and themes emerging. Today, horror films can range from classic monster movies to psychological thrillers to gory slasher flicks.
One of the defining features of the horror genre is its ability to tap into our primal fears and anxieties. Whether it’s the fear of the unknown, the fear of death, or the fear of the supernatural, horror films play on our deepest fears and insecurities. They can also be a way to explore social and political issues, such as racism, sexism, and class inequality.
When it comes to horror films on Amazon Prime, there are plenty of options to choose from. From classic horror movies like Alien to more recent indie hits like Hereditary, there’s something for every horror fan on the platform. Whether you’re looking for a scary movie to watch alone or with friends, Amazon Prime has you covered.
The Best of Amazon Prime Horror Movies
Looking for the best horror movies on Amazon Prime? You’re in luck because Amazon Prime Video has a great selection of horror films that will keep you on the edge of your seat.
Here are some of the best horror movies on Amazon Prime:
- Bram Stoker’s Dracula
- The Fog
Bram Stoker’s Dracula is a classic that tells the story of Count Dracula and his attempt to move from Transylvania to England. Candyman is a recent remake of the 1992 classic about a boogeyman. The Fog is a John Carpenter classic that features ghosts and a small town. Cloverfield is a found-footage movie about a monster attack in New York City. Hellraiser is a classic that features a puzzle box that unleashes demons. Megan is a recent horror movie that features a woman who becomes pregnant with a demon. Master is a recent Indian horror movie that features a cult leader. Nope is a recent horror movie that features a mysterious cloud that terrorizes a small town.
Whether you’re a horror fan or just looking for something scary to watch, Amazon Prime Video has plenty of options to choose from. So, grab some popcorn and get ready to be scared!
Influence of Directors and Production Houses
When it comes to horror movies on Amazon Prime, the influence of directors and production houses cannot be overlooked. Many of the best horror movies on the streaming platform are the result of talented filmmakers and production companies with a passion for the genre.
One of the most recognizable names in horror today is Jordan Peele, who directed the critically acclaimed films “Get Out” and “Us.” Both of these movies are available on Amazon Prime and showcase Peele’s unique vision and storytelling abilities. Another director worth mentioning is Dario Argento, whose stylish and surreal horror films have influenced generations of filmmakers. His classic movie “Suspiria” is available on Amazon Prime and is a must-watch for horror fans.
Clive Barker is another director whose influence can be felt in the horror genre. His film “Hellraiser” is a cult classic and has spawned numerous sequels and spin-offs. Production company Blumhouse is also worth noting, as they have been responsible for many recent horror hits such as “The Black Phone” and “Welcome to the Blumhouse” series.
Stephen King is a name that needs no introduction in the horror world. Many of his books have been adapted into successful horror movies, such as “Carrie” and “The Shining.” Amazon Prime has a plethora of Stephen King adaptations available for streaming, including “Pet Sematary” and “The Stand” miniseries.
Nia DaCosta is a director to watch in the horror genre. Her recent film “Candyman” is a critical and commercial success, and she is set to direct the highly anticipated “Captain Marvel 2.” Scott Derrickson is another director worth mentioning, as he directed the horror hits “Sinister” and “The Exorcism of Emily Rose.”
Jason Blum, the founder of Blumhouse, is a producer who has had a significant impact on the horror genre. His production company has been responsible for many successful horror films, including “Paranormal Activity” and “Insidious.” Blum has a keen eye for talent and has helped launch the careers of many up-and-coming horror filmmakers.
In conclusion, the horror movies available on Amazon Prime are a testament to the talent and creativity of directors and production companies. Whether you’re a fan of classic horror films or modern hits, there is something for everyone on the streaming platform.
Significant Horror Movies
When it comes to horror movies on Amazon Prime, there are a lot of options to choose from. Here are some significant horror movies that you should consider watching.
Classic Horror Films
If you’re a fan of classic horror movies, Amazon Prime has a great selection to choose from. Here are some of the best:
- Dracula (1931) – This classic vampire movie is a must-watch for any horror fan.
- Suspiria (1977) – This Italian horror film is known for its stunning visuals and eerie soundtrack.
- C.H.U.D. (1984) – This B-movie horror film about cannibalistic humanoid underground dwellers has become a cult classic.
- Night of the Living Dead (1968) – This George A. Romero zombie film is a classic of the genre and a must-see for any horror fan.
Contemporary Horror Films
If you’re looking for more recent horror movies, Amazon Prime has plenty of options. Here are some of the best:
- Get Out (2017) – This horror film from Jordan Peele is a modern classic that explores racism and social issues in a unique and terrifying way.
- The Black Phone (2022) – This recent horror film starring Ethan Hawke has been a hit with audiences and critics alike.
- Welcome to the Blumhouse (2020-2021) – This series of horror films produced by Blumhouse Productions includes titles like “Black Box” and “Bingo Hell” and is perfect for horror fans looking for something new.
- Inside (2016) – This French horror film about a pregnant woman being stalked by a stranger is a tense and terrifying experience.
- Nope (2022) – This upcoming horror film from director Jordan Peele is highly anticipated and is sure to be a hit with horror fans.
Whether you’re a fan of classic horror films or prefer more contemporary scares, Amazon Prime has plenty of options to choose from. So, grab some popcorn and settle in for a night of spooky fun.
Horror Movies from Different Production Companies
When it comes to horror movies on Amazon Prime, there are plenty of options to choose from, including films from different production companies. Here are some of the best horror movies on Amazon Prime from different production companies:
- Universal Pictures: Universal Pictures is one of the oldest and most well-known film studios in the world. Some of the best horror movies from Universal Pictures that you can watch on Amazon Prime include “The Invisible Man” (2020) and “Us” (2019).
- Netflix: Although Netflix is primarily a streaming service, the company has also produced some excellent horror movies. Some of the best horror movies from Netflix that you can watch on Amazon Prime include “Gerald’s Game” (2017) and “The Perfection” (2018).
- Lionsgate: Lionsgate is a leading independent film studio that has produced some of the most popular horror movies in recent years. Some of the best horror movies from Lionsgate that you can watch on Amazon Prime include “Cabin in the Woods” (2012) and “The Blair Witch Project” (1999).
- New World Pictures: New World Pictures is a defunct film studio that was known for producing low-budget horror movies in the 1980s. Some of the best horror movies from New World Pictures that you can watch on Amazon Prime include “Hellraiser” (1987) and “Re-Animator” (1985).
- Hulu: Although Hulu is primarily a streaming service, the company has also produced some excellent horror movies. Some of the best horror movies from Hulu that you can watch on Amazon Prime include “Little Monsters” (2019) and “Bad Hair” (2020).
Overall, there are plenty of excellent horror movies on Amazon Prime from different production companies. Whether you’re in the mood for a classic horror movie or something more modern, you’re sure to find something that will scare you on Amazon Prime.
Horror Movies and Their Ratings
When it comes to horror movies on Amazon Prime, there are plenty of options to choose from. But how do you know which ones are worth your time? One way to gauge the quality of a movie is to look at its ratings. Here are some of the best-rated horror movies currently streaming on Amazon Prime, according to Rotten Tomatoes:
- Get Out (2017) – Rotten Tomatoes score: 98%
This critically acclaimed horror film from director Jordan Peele tackles issues of racism and social commentary, while still managing to be genuinely scary.
- The Witch (2016) – Rotten Tomatoes score: 90%
This atmospheric horror film is set in colonial New England and follows a family as they are haunted by a malevolent force in the woods.
- Hereditary (2018) – Rotten Tomatoes score: 89%
This slow-burn horror film stars Toni Collette as a mother dealing with the aftermath of a family tragedy, and features some truly unsettling imagery.
- Midsommar (2019) – Rotten Tomatoes score: 83%
From the same director as Hereditary, this horror film follows a group of friends as they participate in a pagan festival in Sweden, with unsettling consequences.
- The Blackcoat’s Daughter (2015) – Rotten Tomatoes score: 73%
This slow-burn horror film follows two girls at a Catholic boarding school who are left alone over winter break, and features some genuinely creepy moments.
Of course, ratings aren’t the be-all and end-all when it comes to horror movies. Your personal taste and tolerance for different types of scares will also play a big role in what you enjoy. But if you’re looking for some of the best-reviewed horror movies on Amazon Prime, these are definitely worth checking out.
Key Actors in Horror Movies
When it comes to horror movies, the actors can make or break the film. A great performance can elevate a mediocre horror movie to a classic, while a bad performance can ruin an otherwise promising film. Here are some key actors who have made their mark on the horror genre:
- Vincent Price: Known as the “Master of Horror,” Vincent Price appeared in numerous horror films throughout his career. His distinctive voice and sinister presence made him a fan favorite. Some of his notable horror films include “House of Wax,” “The Pit and the Pendulum,” and “The Masque of the Red Death.”
- Donald Sutherland: Although he is best known for his roles in dramas and thrillers, Donald Sutherland has also appeared in several horror films. One of his most famous horror roles was in the 1978 remake of “Invasion of the Body Snatchers.” He also appeared in the classic horror film “Don’t Look Now.”
- Christian Bale: Before he became known for his roles in dramas and superhero movies, Christian Bale appeared in the horror film “American Psycho.” His chilling portrayal of a wealthy investment banker who moonlights as a serial killer earned him critical acclaim.
- Richard Brake: Richard Brake is a character actor who has appeared in several horror films, including “31,” “Halloween II,” and “3 from Hell.” He is known for his intense and unsettling performances.
- Mamoudou Athie: Mamoudou Athie is a rising star who has appeared in several horror films in recent years. He starred in the critically acclaimed horror film “The Circle” and also appeared in “Uncle Peckerhead” and “Black Box.”
- Phylicia Rashad: Best known for her roles in television dramas and comedies, Phylicia Rashad also appeared in the horror film “Creepshow 2.” She played the lead role in the segment “The Raft,” which is widely regarded as one of the best segments in the film.
- Mason Thames: Mason Thames is a young actor who has already made a name for himself in the horror genre. He starred in the horror film “The Haunting of Bly Manor” and also appeared in the horror-comedy “Werewolves Within.”
These actors have all made their mark on the horror genre with their memorable performances. Whether they are playing the hero or the villain, they bring a unique energy and intensity to their roles that elevates the films they appear in.
Elements of Horror Movies
When it comes to horror movies, there are certain elements that are common across many different sub-genres. Whether it’s supernatural entities, found footage, haunted houses, scary movies, puzzle boxes, torture porn, or body horror, these elements can help create a sense of fear and unease in the viewer. In this section, we’ll take a look at some of the key elements that are often found in horror movies.
One of the most common elements in horror movies is the supernatural. This can include ghosts, demons, vampires, and other creatures that are not of this world. Supernatural horror movies often rely on jump scares and other visual effects to create a sense of fear and unease in the viewer. They can also explore themes of death, the afterlife, and the unknown.
Found footage horror movies are a sub-genre that has become increasingly popular in recent years. These movies are typically presented as if they were filmed by the characters themselves, using handheld cameras or other recording devices. This can create a sense of realism and immersion for the viewer, as they feel like they are experiencing the events of the movie firsthand. Found footage horror movies often explore themes of voyeurism, surveillance, and the unknown.
Haunted house horror movies are another popular sub-genre. These movies typically take place in a single location, such as a house or a hotel, that is haunted by ghosts or other supernatural entities. Haunted house horror movies often rely on atmosphere and tension to create a sense of fear, rather than jump scares or other visual effects. They can also explore themes of isolation, paranoia, and the unknown.
Scary movies are a broad category that can encompass many different sub-genres of horror. These movies often rely on a combination of visual effects, jump scares, and other techniques to create a sense of fear and unease in the viewer. They can explore a wide range of themes, from the supernatural to the psychological.
Puzzle box horror movies are a sub-genre that is characterized by complex, labyrinthine plots and intricate storytelling. These movies often require the viewer to pay close attention to the details in order to fully understand what is happening. Puzzle box horror movies can explore themes of identity, memory, and the unknown.
Torture porn horror movies are a controversial sub-genre that is characterized by extreme violence and gore. These movies often focus on the physical torture and mutilation of the characters, rather than on atmosphere or tension. Torture porn horror movies can explore themes of power, control, and the unknown.
Body horror movies are a sub-genre that focuses on the physical transformation of the characters. These movies often feature grotesque and disturbing imagery, such as mutations, deformities, and other bodily changes. Body horror movies can explore themes of identity, transformation, and the unknown.
In conclusion, horror movies can be a complex and varied genre, with many different sub-genres and elements. Whether it’s supernatural entities, found footage, haunted houses, scary movies, puzzle boxes, torture porn, or body horror, these elements can help create a sense of fear and unease in the viewer. By understanding these elements, you can better appreciate and enjoy the horror movies that you watch.
The Impact of Location on Horror Movies
When it comes to horror movies, the location can play a significant role in creating an eerie and terrifying atmosphere. The right setting can make the audience feel like they are a part of the story, and the wrong setting can ruin the entire experience. In this section, we will explore the impact of location on horror movies, focusing on Chicago, wolves, and California.
Chicago is a city known for its harsh winters, towering skyscrapers, and bustling streets. It’s not the first place that comes to mind when you think of horror movies, but it has been the setting for some of the most iconic horror films of all time. One example is Candyman, a movie that takes place in the Cabrini-Green housing projects. The film’s setting adds to the sense of dread and danger, as the audience is taken into a world of poverty, violence, and urban decay.
Wolves are often associated with horror movies, and for a good reason. These majestic creatures have been used in countless horror films to create a sense of fear and unease. One example is The Grey, a movie that takes place in the Alaskan wilderness. The film’s setting adds to the sense of isolation and hopelessness, as the characters are stranded in the middle of nowhere, with nothing but the howling of wolves to keep them company.
California may be known for its sunny beaches and palm trees, but it has also been the setting for some of the most terrifying horror movies of all time. One example is The Hills Have Eyes, a movie that takes place in the desert. The film’s setting adds to the sense of danger and vulnerability, as the characters are stranded in the middle of nowhere, with no one to turn to for help.
In conclusion, the location can make or break a horror movie. Whether it’s Chicago, wolves, or California, the right setting can add to the atmosphere and make the audience feel like they are a part of the story. As a filmmaker, it’s essential to choose the right location to create a memorable and terrifying experience for your audience.
Horror Movies and TV Shows
If you’re a fan of horror movies and TV shows, Amazon Prime is an excellent streaming service to subscribe to. With a vast collection of horror titles, you’ll have plenty of options to choose from. Here are some of the best horror movies and TV shows currently available on Amazon Prime:
- Midsommar (2019): A horror film about a group of friends who travel to Sweden for a festival that only occurs once every 90 years. Things take a dark turn when they realize that the festival is not what it seems.
- Hereditary (2018): A supernatural horror film about a family that is haunted by a mysterious presence after the death of their grandmother. The film is known for its disturbing imagery and intense performances.
- The Witch (2015): A period horror film about a Puritan family that is banished from their community and forced to live in the wilderness. Strange occurrences begin to happen, and the family starts to believe that they are being targeted by a witch.
- The Conjuring (2013): A supernatural horror film based on the true story of paranormal investigators Ed and Lorraine Warren. The film follows the Warrens as they investigate a haunted farmhouse in Rhode Island.
- American Horror Story: A horror anthology series that explores different themes and storylines each season. The show is known for its disturbing imagery, complex characters, and talented cast.
- The Walking Dead: A post-apocalyptic horror series about a group of survivors who must navigate a world overrun by zombies. The show is known for its intense action sequences, emotional storytelling, and diverse cast of characters.
- Penny Dreadful: A horror series that takes place in Victorian England and features iconic literary characters such as Frankenstein, Dracula, and Dorian Gray. The show is known for its lush visuals, intricate storytelling, and talented cast.
Overall, Amazon Prime is an excellent streaming service for horror fans. With a vast collection of horror movies and TV shows, you’re sure to find something that will give you a good scare.
Membership and Access to Horror Movies
If you are a horror movie enthusiast, having an Amazon Prime membership is a must. With access to thousands of movies and TV shows, Amazon Prime Video offers a wide range of horror movies to choose from.
As a member, you can access all the horror movies available on Amazon Prime Video without any additional charges. You can also rent or buy movies that are not included in your Prime membership.
Amazon Prime Video regularly updates its library with new horror releases. You can stay up to date with the latest horror movies by following news and updates from Amazon Prime Video.
In addition to having access to a vast library of horror movies, Amazon Prime membership also offers other benefits such as free two-day shipping, unlimited access to Prime Music, and more.
Overall, having an Amazon Prime membership is a great way to access a wide range of horror movies. With regular updates and new releases, you can always find something new to watch.
The Experience of Watching Horror Movies
Watching horror movies is an experience that can be both thrilling and terrifying. Whether you’re a horror movie fan or a first-timer, the experience of watching a horror movie can be a unique one.
One of the best ways to enjoy a horror movie is with a bowl of popcorn. The salty snack can help calm your nerves and provide a satisfying crunch during the tense moments of the movie.
As you settle in to watch a horror movie, it’s important to remember that the goal of the movie is to scare you. The filmmakers use a variety of techniques to create a sense of terror, such as jump scares, eerie music, and creepy lighting.
It’s important to note that not all horror movies are created equal. Some movies rely on gore and violence to shock the audience, while others rely on psychological terror to create a sense of dread.
No matter what kind of horror movie you’re watching, it’s important to remember that it’s just a movie. While the terrors on the screen may seem real, they are just special effects and acting.
Overall, watching horror movies can be a thrilling experience that is sure to get your heart racing. Just remember to have some popcorn on hand and to keep in mind that it’s all just for fun.
Horror Movies with Unique Themes
When it comes to horror movies, it’s not always about the jump scares or gore. Sometimes, what makes a horror movie truly unique is its theme. Here are some horror movies on Amazon Prime that stand out for their unique themes:
- Fractured – This psychological thriller follows a man who is convinced that his wife and daughter have disappeared in a hospital. As he desperately tries to find them, he begins to question his own sanity and memories.
- Shutter Island – Set in the 1950s, this movie follows two U.S. Marshals investigating the disappearance of a patient at a hospital for the criminally insane. As they delve deeper into the case, they begin to question their own perceptions of reality.
Cannibalistic Humanoid Underground Dweller (CHUD)
- CHUD – This classic horror movie from 1984 follows a group of people in New York City who discover that the homeless population is being turned into cannibalistic monsters living in the sewers.
- C.H.U.D. II: Bud the CHUD – This sequel takes a more comedic approach, as a military experiment gone wrong turns a corpse into a CHUD that escapes and wreaks havoc on a small town.
- The Vanishing – This Dutch thriller follows a man whose girlfriend disappears during a rest stop on a road trip. He spends the next three years trying to find out what happened to her.
- The Invitation – This psychological horror movie follows a man who attends a dinner party hosted by his ex-wife and her new partner. As the night goes on, he begins to suspect that there is something sinister going on.
- Annihilation – This sci-fi horror movie follows a group of scientists who enter a mysterious zone known as “The Shimmer” where the laws of nature don’t apply. As they explore the area, they encounter strange and terrifying creatures.
- The Cloverfield Paradox – This movie takes place in the same universe as the original Cloverfield, and follows a team of scientists who accidentally rip open a hole in space-time while trying to solve Earth’s energy crisis.
Overall, these horror movies on Amazon Prime offer unique and interesting themes that set them apart from the typical horror fare. Whether you’re in the mood for psychological thrills, cannibalistic monsters, or sci-fi horror, there’s something for everyone.
The Art of Horror Movies
Horror movies have been a staple of entertainment for many years, and Amazon Prime has a vast collection of horror movies that are sure to give you a scare. The art of horror movies is not just about jump scares and gore, but it is about creating an atmosphere that will keep you on the edge of your seat.
One of the essential elements of horror movies is cinematography. The way a scene is filmed can make all the difference in creating a terrifying atmosphere. The use of lighting, camera angles, and color can all contribute to the overall feel of the movie. For example, the use of shadows and darkness can create a sense of foreboding and mystery, while bright colors can create a false sense of security that is quickly shattered.
Another important aspect of horror movies is sound design. The use of sound effects and music can be just as important as the visuals in creating a tense atmosphere. The sound of footsteps approaching, a door creaking open, or a sudden burst of music can all be used to create a jump scare or build tension.
Horror movies also often explore themes that are relevant to our fears and anxieties. Themes such as isolation, loss, and the unknown can all be used to create a sense of unease in the viewer. These themes are often explored through the use of symbolism and metaphor, which can add depth and meaning to the movie.
In conclusion, the art of horror movies is about creating an atmosphere that will keep you on the edge of your seat. Through the use of cinematography, sound design, and exploration of relevant themes, horror movies can be a truly terrifying experience. So, turn off the lights, grab some popcorn, and get ready for a scare.
Upcoming Horror Movies
If you’re a fan of horror movies, then you’re in luck because Amazon Prime Video has several upcoming horror movies that you won’t want to miss. Here are some of the most anticipated horror movies that will be released on Amazon Prime Video in the coming months:
- The Devil’s Light: This supernatural horror movie follows a nun who uncovers a demonic conspiracy at her convent. Starring Virginia Madsen and Ben Cross, this movie is set to release in October 2023.
- The Black Phone: Based on a short story by Joe Hill, this movie follows a kidnapped boy who communicates with the dead through a disconnected phone. Starring Ethan Hawke and directed by Scott Derrickson, this movie is set to release in February 2024.
- The Night House: This psychological horror movie follows a widow who discovers disturbing secrets about her late husband’s past. Starring Rebecca Hall and directed by David Bruckner, this movie is set to release in November 2023.
- The Lair: This horror movie follows a group of friends who discover a secret underground lab where a mad scientist has been conducting experiments on humans. Starring Corey Stoll and directed by Neil Marshall, this movie is set to release in January 2024.
- The Pale Blue Eye: This horror movie follows a retired detective who investigates a series of murders at West Point Academy. Starring Christian Bale and directed by Scott Cooper, this movie is set to release in March 2024.
These are just a few of the upcoming horror movies that Amazon Prime Video has in store for you. Keep an eye out for these movies and more in the coming months.